Monday, March 9, 2015

First Day at Work (and Play)

You wouldn't know it if you first met me, but usually I'm not a person who enjoys manual labor. However, the work that we did today was a definite exception. Our group spent most of the day pouring a new concrete roof on a house that belonged to a couple named Dora and Eduardo. My job was to pour water, rocks, and sand with the cement to help make the concrete. It was probably one of the most physically intense things that I've ever done. And I loved all of it. It was so apparent that the work we were doing was making a direct impact on people's lives and the people we were working with were so visibly grateful. It was truly a privilege and pleasure to be able to do what we helped do today. 

After work, we were able to visit an orphanage for girls where we were handily beaten in a game of football (soccer) before being serenaded with a rendition of John Lennon's Imagine. This was such a meaningful experience for me personally because I didn't expect to lose myself so fully with these kids. It was so much fun to dance and play with the kids that I almost forgot where I was. These girls, some of them who have faced real hardship, were so gracious and happy and fun that being with them and seeing how they treated each other was awe inspiring. 

I can't wait to see what the rest of the week will be like and I'm sure that I'll have more thoughts and impressions before we go. Until then,

Spencer Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment