Sunday, March 15, 2015

Trip thoughts....

Now that we have been home for 24 hours - I thought I might take a couple minutes to look back on the week.  The Esperanza trip week is always one of my favorites of the year!!!  Although I'm working while I'm on vacation - it never really seems that that way.  It is a great mix of physical work, venturing to many places around Tijuana, great food, meeting new Mexican friends, warm weather and working & growing together as a group of 11.

I want to thank everyone who went on the trip for such a great week!   This is the 5th or 6th year we have taken College students from the College of Wooster.  The students work hard and we learn a lot from them.  Taking a week of spring break to go to Tijuana instead of the beach shows the character of each one of you!

Each year we get to know Eduardo and the rest of the Esperanza staff better.  They work hard and long hours every week out of the year!!!  This year we were fortunate to see Monica, the Esperanza director and we worked with two long term volunteers - Alex and Sean.  Best of luck to you both for the rest of your time in Tijuana.

All through the year I talk about how the families are strong in Tijuana.  We again found that the two families, Dora & Eduardo, Claudia both had strong family and neighborhood backing to help build their houses.

One of my favorite parts of the trip is the closing circle with Eduardo.  We each get a second to reflect on the week and Eduardo spends a lot of time talking to us as a group and then individually.

Now I have to wait almost a year before next years trip.

Phil Starr

No comments:

Post a Comment