Thursday, March 12, 2015

Teamwork makes the dream work.

Greetings everyone, Mo here. This is my first trip to Tijuana, as well as my first trip out of the country. I can honestly say it was nothing like what I expected. As an American, I find it easy to stay up to date with international topics by watching and reading the news. And from what I understood about Tijuana (prior to the trip) was that it was a dangerous city, overrun by drugs and violence. I can't attest to the validity to these statements as I have yet to see any evidence of this. However, I can say that through my own eyes I see a developing city with friendly people and a growing infrastructure. Today being our fourth day of work, our job was to continue to finish laying the foundation of a new house. I was again acquainted with the cement mixer. Yay me. Luckily today we didn't have to mix as much cement as we did early in the week. After a few hours in the Tijuana Sun we finally got to take a lunch break. The food was amazing and I appreciated the fact the ladies took the time to cook the food AND help us with the work site. Hats off to them. I decided to play Frisbee with the children of the house the second half of the lunch break. I don't think they played much before that but they could have fooled me because they threw the frisbee as if they had been playing for a while. Especially the youngest son Brian. After working and playing with the families I could see how strong the sense of community is between everyone. Not even a language barrier could stop us from sharing a laugh or a meal with each other. I hate the fact that tomorrow is our last day to work with the families. Nevertheless, I plan to make it a good day and create memories I'll be happy to look back on. That's all for now. -Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment